Terms & Conditions
This website is owned and managed by Sunshine Breaks Ltd. If you use or book through our website you agree to our terms and conditions. Sunshine Breaks Ltd is a booking agent for property owners who use our website as an advertising platform. We (Sunshine Breaks Ltd) take great care to ensure that all the information on the website is accurate and true.
All rental prices for any of the properties advertised on our website are inclusive of all taxes. We cannot guarantee that the prices shown will not change but property owners are bound to accept the agreed price once a booking has been confirmed.
Sunshine Breaks Ltd does accept responsibility for any discrepancies to descriptions given on the website about the property and it's location. We do however try to visit each of the properties to ensure that what is written is accurate to ensure customer satisfaction.
Sunshine Breaks Ltd accept a booking on confirmation that the property is available and after receiving a booking form from the customer. At this stage we (Sunshine Breaks Ltd) take a payment which is 5% of the agreed cost. This 5% is non refundable. The customer will then be put in direct contact with the property owner and the property owner will advise the customer of their own payment terms and conditions for the remaining balance (95%). Sunshine Breaks Ltd does not accept any responsibility for the collection of these payments and the property owner takes on all responsibility for receiving the remaining payment.
Payments for Casa Escocia (accommodation only)
Sunshine Breaks Ltd accept bookings for Casa Escocia on confirmation that the rooms are available and the customer has returned our booking form. We (Sunshine Breaks Ltd) then take a payment for 20% of the agreed cost. This 20% is refundable if the booking is cancelled more than one calendar month prior to arrival date. Less than one calendar month prior to arrival date and this payment is non refundable. The remaining 80% can either be paid in advance if the customer wishes or they can pay the owners of Casa Escocia upon arrival. If paid in advance then the 80% is refundable upon cancellation.
Payments for Activity Breaks
Sunshine Breaks Ltd accept payments on behalf of activity providers. A fee of 20% is taken on confirmation of any booking. This 20% is refundable if the booking is cancelled more than one calendar month prior to the arrival date. Less than one calendar month prior to the arrival date and this payment is non refundable. The remaining 80% must be paid within one calendar month of arrival date. This is fully refundable if cancelled more than one month prior to arrival date. If less than one calendar month but more than one week prior to arrival date then 70% of the total cost will be refunded. If less than one week prior to arrival date then the fee is non refundable. Exceptional circumstances will be looked at on an one to one case scenario by the activity provider but there is no requirement to give a refund at this stage.
Insurance for Activity Breaks
It is the customers responsibility to ensure that they are aware of all risks associated with any activity they book. The customer must ensure that they have adequate insurance to cover the activity they are partaking in and that this policy provides medical cover for any injury received or treatment required as a result of any activity. Sunshine Breaks Ltd doe not take any responsibility for deaths, accidents or injuries received whilst partaking on any activity.
It is the responsibility of customers to ensure that they have adequate travel insurance. Sunshine Breaks recommends a fully comprehensible insurance package covering amongst other things personal belongings, public liability and cancellation cover. Sunshine Breaks Ltd are not responsible for any of the aforementioned.
Failure to Show
If you do not arrive at your accommodation then it will treated as a cancellation. The booking fee and any other fees collected by the property owner will not be refunded.
Changes or Special Requirements
It is the customers responsibility to make known any special needs or requirements to the property owner prior to confirming the booking. Any amendments to your booking must be notified to and agreed with the property owner in advance of your arrival.
After your Booking is Confirmed
The customer will be sent confirmation of the booking by Sunshine Breaks Ltd and payment for the booking fee will be arranged as per conditions previously mentioned. It is the customers responsibility to ensure that all contact details given are correct and that your e mail system is operable and is not set to block e mail communications from either Sunshine Breaks Ltd or the property owner. A booking reference will be issued with each booking and this should be used in all communication regarding your booking.
By confirming your booking, you agree to any liability for losses, damages, additional expenses or any claim whatsoever arising out of or in connection with Sunshine Breaks Ltd error or omission, property owners or activity providers error or omission, changes in availability, accommodation, health, injury, weather, strikes, fraud, property owner closing or selling there property, or any other cause shall be the customers responsibility unless agreed between the customer and the property owner and or activity provider. Under no circumstances will Sunshine Breaks Ltd be held responsible for such losses, expenses, claims or demands for refunds or compensation. Sunshine Breaks Ltd, its owners, directors, employees, sub contractors and agents accept no liability for personal injury or death or loss or damage to personal property owned by you.
Property owners are independent contractors and not agents or employees of Sunshine Breaks Ltd. They use this website to advertise to advertise their property. As such, upon initiating use of any Sunshine Breaks Ltd services the property owners agree to these terms and conditions.
Bookings confirmed through this website are private contracts between the customer and the property owner. Bookings are confirmed once notification is provided to the property owner and includes e mail delivered to the property owners e mail address. The property owner is not required to acknowledge the booking and failure to do so does not void the booking. Is is appreciated though when property owners do acknowledge receipt of a booking. It is the sole responsibility of the property owner to ensure that their e mail system is operable, that e mail addresses provided to Sunshine Breaks Ltd are correct and that no settings are n place that will block e mail from Sunshine Breaks Ltd. The property owner agrees to honour all bookings taken on their behalf so long as all these terms and agreements and their own terms and agreements issued to the customer are adhered to. If due to unforeseen circumstances, over booking or any other reason that results in the property owner being unable to provide the booking as agreed then the property owner assumes all responsibility for payments already made by the customer including payments made to Sunshine breaks Ltd to confirm the booking. In these circumstances the property owner shall immediately notify both Sunshine Breaks Ltd and the customer, find comparable property for the customer and rebook the customer into other suitable and comparable property and deliver a written explanation absolving Sunshine Breaks Ltd of any responsibility for the property owners failure to provide the property as agreed.
Property owners use this website to provide information about their accommodation, services and availability. Accommodation must be in compliance with all local and international laws and regulations, including any licensing or registration requirements. Property owners agree that they are responsible for ensuring this compliance and not Sunshine Breaks Ltd. Any information published on this website about their accommodation must also be in compliance with local and international laws and regulations. Property owners are responsible for ensuring the information published is correct. This is not the responsibility of Sunshine Breaks Ltd.
Should any changes occur to the property including availability then it is the responsibility of the property owner to inform Sunshine Breaks Ltd. If the accommodation does not maintain compliance with local and international laws and regulations and does not inform Sunshine Breaks Ltd of any failure in being able to honor bookings made through this website then Sunshine Breaks Ltd reserves the right to to terminate any listing without notice.
Under no circumstances are Sunshine Breaks Ltd liable for losses, damages or third party claims arising out of or in connection with any fraudulent transactions made through this website. Fraudulent transactions include but are not limited to, reservations with invalid or incorrect information supplied by the customer, unauthorised or disputed credit card charges, or reservations associated with high risk or previously fraudulent transactions.
All content on this website, including logos and photographs are the property of Sunshine Breaks Ltd. All property owners sending photographs to us for use in marketing of their property give Sunshine Breaks Ltd ownership of those photographs. If any third party wishes to use any of the photographs on this website the they should contact Sunshine Breaks Ltd via this website and ask for permission to use them. In most circumstances there shouldn't be any objections (it's nice to be asked).
Links to Third Party Sites
This website contains hyperlinks to websites operated by parties other than Sunshine Breaks Ltd. Such hyperlinks are to provide information for persons using our website. We do not endorse and have no control over content in any other website reached through such hyperlinks. We do try to ensure that all links to other websites are appropriate but we take no responsibility for their content. If anyone using this site feels that certain hyperlinks are unsuitable then please contact us through this website and we will review the link and delete it if we feel it is not appropriate.